Sunday, January 15, 2006

WrestleMania

I got an e-mail from Phil Glick last week asking me about how I would book WrestleMania, and it was a really tough thing to think through. There are just so few matches that have been set up by WWE that people are interested in. At this point it's really too late, as you need to build throughout the year. The only way to save the show is Hulk Hogan vs. Steve Austin, and that doesn't sound like it is going to happen. John Cena vs. Edge, John Cena vs. Triple H, Randy Orton vs. Kurt Angle, Vince McMahon vs. Shawn Michaels...none of these are terribly appealing. I think at this point you just use WrestleMania as a rebuilding period. Put over some guys to try to elevate them. The problem is WWE has gotten rid of so many potential stars, and brought in and pushed so many total losers. The only three guys on the midcard/undercard who I think are worth elevating are Shelton Benjamin, Rey Mysterio and Rob Van Dam, so I would give them prominent matches and put them over established stars. Shelton Benjamin vs. Shawn Michaels is a natural, if they just dumped the moronic Mama Benjamin character, and had him become Vince McMahon's hired gun to take out Shawn Michaels. Really, it's the only idea I can come up with that I really like for WrestleMania. Rey Mysterio I would consider pushing to the top, but since Kurt Angle is staying a face on Smackdown, their options there are more limited. Rob Van Dam is tough as hell to find an opponent for as well. WWE needs to be thinking really hard about this, because this is shaping up to be much more like WrestleMania XIX than WrestleMania XXI. And it doesn't look to be very good in the ring either.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Rey Mysterio's time.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They need to do something quick! Cause this Wrestlmania seems very lame. Is everyone forgetting about Benoit?? I know they push him really bad after loosing to Booker But if they want a good match put Benoit in something! I mean they don't have anyone else to push that would have a 5 star match in Wrestlmania.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think doing face Kurt Angle hurts any of his future top opponents. I thought Benoit or Rey would've made for good build points for the title match, but right now neither seems likely. They seem pretty nerfed sans a miracle.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home