Thursday, December 15, 2005

King Kong

I caught King Kong with some friends after exams today. It got mixed reviews from us. What a weird film. It had just surreal, ridiculous, unintentional humor straight out of Mummy Returns or some similar crap movie. My "internal logic" meter was exploding as we went from one absurd development to another. Some of the CGI was obviously CGI, including a dinosaur stampede where you could just see the actors running in front of a blue screen. And it needed to be edited, badly.

But in spite of all of this, it was still a pleasurable experience, complete with great visuals, an emotional story given the premise, and a real experience picture. Genuinely. It gets a cautious recommendation. I think it's being overrated, but there's enough good stuff in there to make it worth it. And it's definitely one to see in theaters. My favorite films of the year going into December are still probably Crash and Sin City, but that will likely change rapidly as I catch up on all of the movies I haven't seen in the next month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home