Monday, January 09, 2006

Pride and UFC

When wrestling fans write to me about trying out Pride or UFC, I have always said that Pride is the better first choice, because it is more like American pro wrestling. And along those lines, for most of their existences, I've been a little more entertained by Pride. I look forward to both, but I've gotten more excited about Pride's biggest shows. I watched Shockwave last week, and the previous excitement just wasn't there. It wasn't a bad show, but I wasn't as thrilled to see every match. Part of it probably has to do with the fact the 3-way Nog/Fedor/Cro Cop program is played out, as is the Wand/Rampage feud. But for whatever reason, I look forward to UFC shows much more than Pride these days. UFC has all sorts of fun stuff coming up. After some very weak lineups last year with low level fighters, UFC has some deep cards scheduled with great main events and great depth as well. I recommend everyone check out Ultimate Fight Night next week. I have two TVs so I can tape one and watch the other, but UFN will likely blow Raw away. This is the best lineup they have had on free TV. Tim Sylvia v. Assuerio Silva is a solid heavyweight fight, and it will answer some questions about how good Sylvia is relative to mid level guys who have fought in Pride. I like Sylvia. Stephan Bonnar and James Irvin is a really interesting fight. They both like to bang and will go at it. Irvin is naturally small to be fighting a Mike Kyle, and Bonnar is more his size. It could go either way, but I favor Bonnar. The fight of the night could be Chris Leben vs. Jorge Rivera, which will likely be a standup war. Rivera is a stiff challenge and naturally bigger than Leben, and I slightly favor Rivera, but that is a total pick 'em. Not to mention Drew Fickett, Aaron Riley, Josh Neer and the return of Duane "Bang" Ludwig, along with the Ultimate Fighter guys. That is a really interesting lineup. Then UFC 57 is another great lineup, with Frank Mir, Babalu v. Van Arsdale, Sakara, Buentello, Diaz v. Riggs and more underneath Liddell v. Couture. I can't wait for that as well, and UFC will be back a month after that with Penn v. St. Pierre, Franklin v. Loiseau and maybe Griffin v. Ortiz as well. It's a fun time to be a UFC fan.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todd,
Why is Fit Finley going to wrestle on Smackdown? I thought he knew out a knee while in WCW and isn't about 50 years old?


Michael
www.thehereandthere.net

11:25 PM  
Blogger Todd Martin said...

I have no freaking idea. I don't think he's 50 yet, but he's very close. I would guess he just wanted to make a comeback and WWE obliged. He was always a very good worker, so I don't think there will be anything wrong with his stuff, but I doubt he'll be around longer than a year, so they might as well invest the time with someone who could possibly get over. That's a common criticism of mine of people they bring in.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It just sort of reminds me of when the WWE brought in "Bitter"Bill DeMott,that gimmick just went nowhere fast.
But I am happy to see Mark Henry back,he looks MUCH more focused. They needed to bring in good 300 pounder to give Batista a credible foe until Lashley gets his feet wet.
Angle looks to be in awesome shape.
Orlando needs to be turned face and be given a good finisher. He was much better as a face then a heel.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home