Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar Thoughts

So the nominations are in. They overall look good, although I admittedly haven't seen some of the big ones. The Oscars are the Oscars and you know what sorts of films will get recognition going in. They went in a little different direction with the best picture nod for Little Miss Sunshine, but really that thing had a whole indy prestige vibe the Oscars like in spite of it being a comedy. I think it's a pretty poor choice, actually. Cute movie overall, but nothing resembling the best picture of the year in my opinion, and if they wanted to recognize a quirky comedy Borat was so much better. I'll see Babel and Letters from Iwo Jima soon, and it seems to me those two along with Departed are the top contenders for best picture. I think this is the year Scorsese finally gets best director, and it's a deserved honor as opposed to a lifetime deal. Forest Whitaker and Helen Mirren seem pretty sure for best actor and best actress. Overall not a great year but the nominees are mostly pretty solid.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winning a Golden Globe...that's like winning All Star Game MVP or somethin' right?

And an Academy Award would be like winning the championship?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there a "Worst Picture" category? Or how bout "Worst Screenplay"?

I got it..."Worst Actor in a Non-Speaking Role"...now THAT..is an award if I ever heard of one.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Mirren is very much of a favorite, I might even put Dench as the favorite over her.

I haven't seen the actual performances, so I can't fairly judge, but just based on who's there and their careers, this may be one of the weakest Best Actor fields ever (Leo DiCaprio, The Fresh Prince and Ryan Gosling??).

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two other thoughts that just dawned on me:

Leo was nominated for Blood Diamond, not Departed.

Jack, who from everything I read gave a fantastic performance in the Departed, didn't get a nomination for Supporting Actor.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack did not give a fantastic performance in The Departed. Jack played Jack, which is pretty fantastic, but hardly a performance.

The best recent instance of Jack actually, you know, acting is About Schmidt.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home