Thursday, May 25, 2006

UFC 60

Well, I just got my tickets. My patience paid off, as I was able to get a pair of $600 tickets for $415 total. It's about the same as I paid for UFC 59, and a bit farther back, but you have to feel good about paying a third of face. I'm in section 115. Quick thoughts on the card:

Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie: I just watched the special, and I guess I'm in the distinct minroity, because it made me less interested in the fight. I already knew all the backstory. The only thing the special convinced me of is that Hughes will try to keep it standing. I don't see how Gracie will be able to take him down, which could make for a boring sub-par striking match. That would be a real letdown. I would be shocked if Gracie won this fight. Granted, I didn't give Sylvia a shot last month, but this one seems pretty damn clear to me. Hughes is just at a different level than Gracie. I hope it makes for a fun spectacle.

Assuerio Silva vs. Brandon Vera: I think Vera's being overrated by some. I want the guy to do well. He's entertaining and marketable. But he hasn't beaten too many fighters of note, and he's giving up a lot of weight here. I favor the underdog Silva pretty heavily.

Joe Riggs vs. Mike Swick: This should be a fun brawl, and quite possibly the fight of the night. I'm not a huge fan of Riggs, but this is the best matchup for him since he's come to UFC. I like him to win by KO, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Swick win either.

Dean Lister vs. Alessio Sakara: UFC might end up regretting making this the swing bout. Lister has a knack for having boring fights, and he is going to be doing everything he can to avoid engaging with Sakara standing. I see Sakara winning a decision, but not a lot happening in the fight. I hope I'm wrong. Just seems a bad style matchup. It will be fun to see Sakara's hand speed.

Diego Sanchez vs. John Alessio: Sanchez will be exposed. Mark my words. But this isn't the fight it's happening. Diego via TKO or sub round 1 or 2.

Jeremy Horn vs. Chael Sonnen: They really don't want Sonnen to succeed in UFC, because they keep giving him really tough opponents. He's a quality fighter, but this is made for a Horn win, and I expect that to happen via submission.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious, what don't you like about Sanchez?

I'll be at the fight, covering it. Shoot me an e-mail at mrsnickerz@gmail.com. We can try to coordinate and maybe if it works out, I'll see you at the event.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Swain said...

I assume you're playing the UFC Fantasy Game? Another good Dana innovation, as it gives us armchair prognosticators a chance to show off at no cost.
Enjoy the show live.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No follow up report from the live show, Todd?

2:46 PM  
Blogger Todd Martin said...

I'll write something up tomorrow. Good show overall I thought. Not among UFC's very best, but it was a fun time.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home