Saturday, January 21, 2006

Response from Leonsis Regarding Ovechkin/Capitals

I got an e-mail from Ted Leonsis, the owner of the Washington Capitals, regarding what I wrote the other day about Ovechkin and the Caps. He was very nice, as he was the few times in the past I had interactions with him. As I am apt to do, I stated my points very forcefully and they probably came across stronger than they should. He noted that many of the mid-level free agents that the Caps pursued ended up getting longer term contracts than we agree are worth taking on for a young team. As I understand it, the plan is to let the elite of our younger players develop, while preparing for the arrival of farm players like Eric Fehr, a probable high draft pick in this year's draft, a few complementary players via trade or free agency, and the return of Alexander Semin. Semin is a real key, as he's an explosive talent that the Caps are trying to bring from Russia back to the States.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home