Monday, October 08, 2007

Weekend Sports

It was overall a great sports weekend. The positives:

-USC loses to Stanford. Just a great upset in every respect - great team to lose, great team to pull off the upset. Came down to the end. I was very happy for this one, as were my parents and sister (I'm the only dimwit who didn't go there in our family).

-Caps off to 3-0 start. I was hoping that this would be the year the Caps turned it around, and it's looking like it might well be. It's a long season but so far they look much improved. The additions of Backstrom, Nylander and Kozlov boost the offense, the D is looking much better, and Kolzig is in top form. I'd love to see the Caps back in the playoffs with the old jerseys.

-Yankees fall in ALDS. I hate the Yankees. They had a poll on ESPN about the team you love to hate more: Cowboys or Yankees. And it's a good question for me given they were the big rivals of my Orioles and Redskins as a kid. The Yankees ran away with it. But to me the answer is the Cowboys. I love rooting against the Cowboys. But I simply hate the Yankees. I don't like them at all, and it's not fun rooting against them because they always make the playoffs over the Orioles. It's like rooting against Hunter. Anyway, glad to see they lost and I think if they get rid of Torre they're going to have even more problems.

The negatives:

-UCLA provides Notre Dame's first win. I think this is the final toll for Karl Dorrell, as I can't see him being brought back after the season. Hopefully they can have an amicable split and bring in a coach that gets better on field results. Not a good win at all with the turnovers.

And finally:

-Redskins vs. Lions. This was a very pleasant surprise. Redskins were 2-1 but hadn't looked great. This was the game where it really seemed like they're a contender again, particularly with the defense looking strong. It also continues the trend of the Redskins doing better when they make less changes, and then they make moves to "put them over the top" and it backfires. This was the sort of dominant win you rarely see in the NFL because the teams are so evenly matched. They just whooped up on the Lions in every regard. And, prior to the game I made a little bet with my buddy Matt Nevala over the result of the game. As the Lions lost, he, like the Genius, has a poem for us all.

Hail to the Redskins. Hail Victory.
Hail to the Redskins, especially when they play the Motor City Kitties.
The 2007 Washington Redskins deserve much appreciation for their ability to run, pass, block, tackle and kick far better than the woeful Detroit Lions could ever imagine.
Todd Martin is a brilliant man for loyally following this juggernaut of a team. I can’t say the same thing for myself.
- Matt Nevala, Anchorage AKLife-long Detroit Lions fan

I think he could give 50 Cent a run for his rhyming money. Of course, that's not high praise. ;)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying the 'Skins a fair bit this year, thanks to the fact I've always been a Portis fan (as a player, he's a twit off the field), and because of BG's own Shaun Suisham being their kicker, even if nobody in the national media can pronounce his name.

More importantly though...GO TRIBE! (although I know it's just going to end with them in the World Series, and getting steamrolled by the Rockies, meaning they would have lost to both the Rockies and Marlins in the World Series.....ugh).

11:54 PM  
Blogger AKFooFighter said...

Two days have passed, and I think the Lions just punted again.

I don't know about you, but food tastes better and the air feels fresher when the Yankees disappear from the playoffs. I'm so, so, so tired of them and national media personalities like Kornheiser and Cowherd talking like NYY is the only team in existence.

Based on their thinking, the Rockies and D'Backs shouldn't be allowed to play because of their "lack of stars" and no television network should broadcast the NLCS.

Although I work hard to ignore this sort of mentality - it still drives me nuts.

- Matt in Anchorage

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home