Thursday, May 04, 2006

Inside Man

I finally got around to seeing Inside Man today. Yeah, I know, it's been out for like 3 years, but I've been really busy. I'm glad I got to see it in theaters. It's one of those movies that really keeps you consumed in trying to figure out what's going on the whole way through, and that's tough because a lot of the time there comes a point when you just get tired of doing all the work in your head and just sort of drift back and wait. It's a very encouraging sign from Spike Lee, because I love Spike and he's churned out some real garbage recently. This isn't the work of a director that's slipping, as he tells a great story and does so with style and all the typical commentaries on race that you expect from a Spike Lee joint. I'm not sure where I put it on his lexicon. Maybe fourth, behind Malcolm X (an absolute masterpiece in my opinion), Do the Right Thing and 25th Hour. The cast of course is also superb. Jodie Foster is one of my very favorite actresses, and she plays a sort of unusual role for her. Denzel is Denzel, and Clive Owen is turning out to be one hell of an actor. He's one role away from being regarded as one of the greatest actors on the planet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home