Saturday, June 07, 2008

Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery Service

My IPod stopped working and I looked into a number of services to try to recover the data on it. I ended up settling on Stellar Phoenix, which promised to help to recover corrupted data and offered a 30 day money back guarantee. Well after hours of effort, it didn't work. And worse, the company's guarantee is fraud. Basically, they say they will refund you if their support can't solve the problem. So what happens is you send them e-mails asking for help, and they keep asking you pointless questions over and over and over again. The questions don't get at the problems, and are intended to get you to eventually give up and restore your Ipod, at which point they claim it was your fault the product didn't work and there is no refund. I literally ended up with a 20 e-mail exchange with these people, and it's clear they have never given a refund to anyone despite their promise. I assume this is of little to no interest to regular readers and it's not a big deal, but I am putting this up so that if someone runs a google search a year from now looking to learn about Stellar Phoenix, hopefully they will learn that their promises are a sham and take that into account before wasting $40 on their product. Products not working are to be expected. Fraudulent and deceptive marketing is another thing entirely.

2 Comments:

Blogger Houston Mitchell said...

Have you taken it to an Apple store? I had a similar problem with mine, walked in to a store a couple of Saturdays ago and it was fixed, no muss, no fuss.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Todd Martin said...

Maybe I should have. But I just gave up and restored. There is something fairly major wrong with it, as it is slow to load data now as well.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home