Thursday, August 23, 2007

Bunch of Reviews

I've been catching up on a bunch of stuff. Here are some thoughts:

- I caught 300 on DVD. Didn't think it was all that good. I liked Sin City a lot, but the story here was too simply and straightforward to the point of being redundant. Still had a style to it, but kind of empty.

-Suburbia was a pretty good little B movie. Think Panic Room or What Lies Beneath. It was effective at what it sought to do, but wasn't terribly innovative in any way.

-One of my favorite movies of the year is The Lookout. I wasn't expecting that much from it, but I thought it was a very well made drama/action film with interesting characters and a nicely constructed plot. Granted, I don't think it has been a great year for movies, but this is one of the best I've seen.

-Common's new album is a bit of a disappointment. It's good, but nothing special. I usually like shorter albums because they're carefully crafted, but this has some dull filler. The best songs are the singles, which is a rarity in hip hop I think. And the best song he released this year was on the Freedom Fighters soundtrack.

-On the other hand, Talib Kweli's new album is fantastic. I just love it. I've been listening to it nonstop. Now granted I'm a big mark for Kweli dating back years, but I can't see how anyone wouldn't love this album. I highly, highly recommend it.

-I also watched the Simpsons Season 10 on DVD. There is of course the line of thinking that the Simpsons declined. And as I've been watching each season on DVD and remembering the episodes, I keep waiting for the decline and every year I think "well, that was great. No decline there." That trend ended with season 10, where there was a clear decline in the overall quality of episodes. 11 got worse, so that's pretty much the point of decline for the Simpsons in my mind.

I'm heading to Vegas Saturday for 74, which I'm really looking forward to. Koscheck-GSP in particular has a lot of interest for me. I don't know whether this will mean anything, but this countdown special did a better job of getting me really excited than any in a while.

Also, I recorded Figure 4 Daily with Bryan Alvarez this evening, so you can check that out tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you listening to the Commentaries on the Simpsons DVD's?

10:57 AM  
Blogger Todd Martin said...

Yes, I do listen to those. Nice they release for all the episodes. Anything in particular you think is striking about them?

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've only listened to Season 3 so far, and I'm currently going through Season 2.

Nothing in particular, but I do love all the shots they take at FOX. There was one episode where Groening mocks former execs at FOX by mimicking them using the squeaky teen voice.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Todd Martin said...

Yeah, they have a lot of fun on some of the tracks. Sometimes they'll joke about how Fox will probably be editing a certain story out, and then others there will be a long break in discussion where I can only assume that's exactly what happened. They also end up bashing Bush a lot in the commentaries that came out around the time of the last election.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After looking through the episode list, I still remember this season pretty well, but not all the episodes, so it sounds about right that this is probably when it started to decline.

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home