Saturday, November 26, 2005

Shawn Michaels Book

I finished Heartbreak and Triumph. I thought overall it was a good read. I came out not really liking Michaels all that much, because in spite of his professions about taking blame for things he did wrong, he seems to have excuses for everything, both on the micro level (The other guy was more to blame than me for that incident; it was all the dirt sheets' fault) and macro level (I'm a different person now, so I'm not really connected with that guy who did the bad things). That said, he takes you right through his career, and while he is manipulative, I don't think he is dishonest. The story flows well and it is fun getting his thoughts on the various points of his career. He loves the business, and that is going to help any book about wrestling. It doesn't feel like he is fully putting himself forward like Dynamite, Matt Hardy, Foley or Ole for that matter, but that is a common trend in a lot of wrestling books. I put the Michaels book solidly in the B category of wrestling books, an interesting read that you will enjoy picking up if you do, but not a special book or must read.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why nobody post on ur blog Toddy?

Wheres Dan "I respect ur lame opinion no matter how lame it is" Wahlers, and JDW-saur, and Steve "phony historian" Yohe....?

12:34 AM  
Blogger Todd Martin said...

I would love to hear John's opinion on Shawn Michaels' book. I'm sure he would approach it with the same open mind of Antonin Scalia discussing a new case on the topic of gay marriage.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shawn Michaels is a legend in his own mind.

He's dropped how many titles because he didn't want to put his opponent over?

I agree with Wayne Ferris (Honky Tonk Man) 100% about Michaels:

"Egotistical pr*ck of an a**hole!"

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michaels is a tremendous performer....but that's it. As a human being, he's just waisting oxygen.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home