Friday, November 25, 2005

New WWE Drug Testing Policy

I was originally planning to write a longer article on this, but things are hectic and I don't think I'm going to have the time to put something of a high enough quality together. So I figured I would just drop my thoughts here. Bottom line, I applaud Vince McMahon for moving in this direction, and I think it is going to be easier to implement testing than a lot of people think.

A lot of people who have been around pro wrestling for a while also have ties to body building. Vince McMahon does. Dave Meltzer does. A number of my friends into wrestling do. I don't, and I think the people that do often overrate the significance of bodies in pro wrestling. Dave said about the policy:

“The only true cure is this. Promoters can't push people based on physique, and judge talent for jobs based on physique. The public can't be impressed by talent with better physiques in thinking that helps make them bigger stars. The talent itself has to no longer care how their physique looks. All three are impossible in the business as we know it. There is no true cure, only an attempt to do the best possible on all accounts."

I think Dave seriously overestimates the importance of physique. Promoters not pushing people based on physique is easier to do now than at any other point in the history of the business in the US. Vince just snaps his fingers and that's it. There aren't a bunch of competing companies that build around those big men. Step one solved. The public I don't think cares about physiques nearly as much as other factors, and won't care as much about the smaller bodies as people think they will. And as I will explain, even if they do, that inclination will go down over time. Step two addressed. And the third step is falsely stated. The issue isn't that the talent no longer cares about their physique. The issue is that the talent has limits on what they will use to keep themselves looking healthy. This isn't a real sport where the drugs help performance. It's just aesthetic. So there isn't that same drive to cheat the system, particularly when promoters no longer push based on physique. The third step is the hardest to fulfill, but it isn't this daunting, unattainable goal.

I have never cared much about bodies in wrestling, so long as the person doesn't look like a slob. And frankly, I don't think the average wrestling fan does much either. WWF ushered in an era of the bodies, but that era is dead. In the 80s, people got over because they were jacked up (think Jim Hellwig). Today, everyone's jacked up, but it doesn't help them. Tomko, Snitsky and the like aren't over despite the juice. The guys that juice who are over are over for other reasons.

Wrestling has become much more about entertainment. Talking, charisma and wrestling ability are the most important factors. People don't care who looks the toughest. And all of this means that Vince has a lot clearer path to cleaning up the sport than he had in the past. Testing for steroids is far from perfect. People can beat the system easily just by using the right stuff. But if Vince stops pushing people based on physique and makes it clear he doesn't want people on the juice, the people who don't need it will get off and the people who do need it will be gone. And wrestling doesn't need anyone who has to juice to get over.

I don't think this is a threat to Vince's business either. TNA is built around smaller guys that can work. They aren't going to go with the huge physiques as some sort of competitive business model. The business in the US will stay the same, and the wrestlers' health will be better. It's a win win. Even better, once WWE starts, the system will naturally reinforce itself. As wrestlers get smaller, there will be less noticeable difference between the wrestlers' physiques, and thus the physiques won't matter as much to the fans. Independent testing that is administered in an even-handed way will also help to combat the problem very quickly. Vince may have his second thoughts after the first positive test of a major star, but he needs to stand strong.

This isn't to say wrestling's problems will go away. Some people will still need to use pain killers given the schedule and the grind. I'm not sure there is an easy solution to that. Vince has already pulled back a lot of the more dangerous moves in this interest, and reduced the travel schedule. Adding something in the policy to protect against abuse of painkillers is a positive, and hopefully it will help. Cardio tests are a great idea, and I was just talking with Mike Maiello about that last week prior to the announcement of this policy.

The wrestling business will still present health problems. But the policy being proposed by Vince is a big step in the right direction, and I don't view it with as much suspicion as some.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a good start. Hopefully it works out towards the end or atleast gives some warning signs for some wrestlers. I also wanted to ask you if you are still with Inside the Square Circle? I understand you go to college. But are you going to do a show again with them anytime soon?

8:59 AM  
Blogger Todd Martin said...

I do ITSC when I'm home in DC. I'll do 2 or 3 shows in December and January during my winter break. Looking forward to it. It's a fun show, even if the other people are a bunch of miserable low lives. (j/k)

9:04 AM  
Blogger Adam A. Richman said...

You are a great writer-

I'm glad you have a blog now!!



AAR

2:36 PM  
Blogger Todd Martin said...

You were an impetus, Adam. When you sent me an e-mail a month (two months?) or so ago, I was like why not. Then I looked into it, and it was so ridiculously easy to set up I figured why not.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I have often disagreed with your Raw Reports and your take on the angles WWE is working, you are bang on with their new drug policy. I was very pleased to see an 'old school' body like Trevor Murdoch hit the ring again.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home