Saturday, April 26, 2008

NFL Draft Thoughts

Kudos to the NFL for the decision to cut down the times between picks. It made the first round move so much more quickly and made it significantly more entertaining to watch. There wasn't much in the way of dead time, lame interviews or rehashed discussions. It's just bang-bang. I'm so glad this will be the case going forward.

As far as the first round, I like Glenn Dorsey a lot at number 5. I like him the best of anyone in the draft. At the next spot Vernon Gholston has bust written all over him to me. I'm really skeptical of guys drafted for athleticism who don't produce in college at the level they're expected to produce in the pros. I was encouraged by the fact nobody drafted WRs. It suggests GMs are wising up, because WRs are so unbelievably hit and miss that they're not a good investment in the first round.

So far, I'm very happy with the Redskins trading down and adding a couple picks. The options weren't great given their needs at 21, and hopefully they'll stockpile some quality players later on. It will really help the franchise if they can learn to use the draft like all of the most successful franchises do.

1 Comments:

Blogger AKFooFighter said...

As usual Todd, you've crystalized my thoughts eloquently. The draft viewing ride is going much smoother this year and makes for a decent flip-over option when baseball and Stanley Cup playoff games are in commercial.

If anything, this year's draft proves just how much of a crap shoot the whole thing is. Look at the Lions - I know why would anyone do that? Detroit drafted what it needed, a reliable RT, in the first round and didn't do anything glamorous.

My expectations for the Lions are never great, but it was fun to see them do their own thing.

- Matt in Anchorage

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home