Sunday, June 24, 2007

Rod Beck

One more quick thought from the weekend. Rod Beck passed away today, and the stories I read saw a lot of people have a lot of complimentary things to say about him. Well let me add one more. When I was a kid I used to love getting autographs at various sporting events, and I remember very vividly getting Rod Beck's autograph after a game at Candlestick Park in the mid 90s, because he had this image of being menacing and yet he was out there signing autographs for maybe 30 or 45 minutes when he didn't have to at all. He was determined to give everyone an autograph that wanted one and was a really nice guy. I remember it because people would stop by and sign for a little while and leave, and he was there this entire time just signing and chatting with people. I've got probably some 200 or so autographs from that time period (maybe even more), so the fact that interaction really stands out in my mind says something for him being a cool dude. Too bad.

2 Comments:

Blogger AKFooFighter said...

As a lifelong Cubs fan, I will always remember Rod Beck jamming Joe Carter into a bloop out to Mark Grace to win the '98 NL Wildcard playoff game. Cubs fans have had few reasons to celebrate, but that was certainly one of them.

"Shooter" won't soon be forgotten.

- Matt in Anchorage

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Giants' fans will miss the big lug. For a few years, it was lights out with Jackson and Beck in the 8th and 9th innings.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home