Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Academy Gets It Right

When the Oscars announced they would be expanding to 10 films, there was skepticism from a lot of people (including myself) that they would end up honoring second tier "prestige" films rather than the best popular films of the year (think last year including Revolutionary Road rather than Wall-E). Well, those fears turned out to be unfounded. The Oscars I think did a great job picking the field for Best Picture even in what I don't think was a particularly strong year for movies. They got the prestige films you would expect like Up in the Air, Precious and A Serious Man, but they also nailed my favorite films of the year from outside that group (Inglourious Basterds, Up and District 9). I think it's a field that will generate a lot more interest in the Oscars this year and I'll be interested to see what comes out on top.

2 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

Good to see Pixar finally get some proper recognition. Although I don't normally like doing it, I think this year might be a good year to split the Best Picture/Best Director awards. The problem is that Avatar was such a James Cameron production that it would be hard to give it BP and not give him the Director award, unless you accept that the overall conception, vision and creation of Avatar was worthy of recognition, but the direction wasn't necessarily the most important part of the process. I'd like Tarantino to win Director, and I think Basterds is a good enough film to merit the prize without it seeming like a lifetime achievement Oscar.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous The Masterbater said...

Glad to see you liked District 9, I thought that was a good movie and it actually surprised me on how good it was.

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home